Family members of EEA nationals

Information for EEA family members applying for a visa.

Family members are:

  • Spouse/partner
  • The direct descendants (children) who are under the age of 21 or are dependants, and those of the spouse or partner.
  • The dependant direct relatives in the ascending line (e.g. parents) and those of the spouse or partner

EEA family members applying for a visa:  
Spouses, descendants and dependent ascendants of EU or EEA nationals applying for a visa must submit the following supporting documents:

1.      Your passport or travel document
Make sure that your passport is valid for at least 3 months beyond your intended stay in Norway and that the passport has a blank page for a visa sticker.

2.      One recent colour passport size photograph
The photos must be less than 6 months old, have a light background and be of good quality (must be taken in a photo booth or by a professional photographer). For more information, please click here (please do NOT use paperclips or staples to attach the photos to the application form).

3.      Original:  

Marriage Certificate (if you are married to an EU or EEA citizen)
Birth Certificate (if one or both of your parents are EU of EEA citizens- the certificate needs to state both parents` names)
The Birth Certificate of the son / daughter you depend on (if you are a dependent ascendant of an EU or an EEA citizen- the certificate needs to state both parents` names)

4.      The EU / EEA national's original passport

5.      Visa application fee - In order to avoid abuse of the Visa Portal, all applicants must pay the appropriate fee when registering the application. However, when the Embassy receives the above mentioned documents proving the relationship to the EU / EEA national (spouses, descendants and dependent ascendants), the fee will be refunded (electronically).

It is not necessary to submit any other documents, although the Embassy strongly recommends that you always travel with a valid travel insurance.

Please note that EU nationals who have always lived in the country of their nationality are not exercising EU treaty rights and are therefore not considered Union citizens. Their family members therefore are not covered by the provisions of Directive 2004/38/EC.

Exemption from the visa requirement for family members of EEA nationals:

If you hold an EU/EEA Residence card according to Article 10 of EU Directive 38/2004, you do not need a visa for visits up to 90 days to Norway.

In the UK this is a sticker in the passport entitled Residence Documentation. Type of Document: Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National.

The old style stamp preceding the EU Residence Documentation sticker is also accepted for visa free travel as long as it refers to the holder being a family member of an EU/EEA national exercising Treaty Rights. 

Please note that residence cards issued to family members of UK citizens living in the UK do not exempt their holders from the visa requirement.

Bookmark and Share