Visas & Passports


In this section you will find information for passport applicants. Please click in the menu below for details on the subject you require.

15/06/2004 ::




Information to passport applicants

The Norwegian Embassy in London and the Consulate General in Edinburgh are now in a position to accept applications for machine-readable passports.

It has recently been decided by American authorities that persons from certain countries would require either a visa or a machine-readable passport in order to enter USA from 1 October 2003. This deadline has been postponed to 26 October 2004.

For more information regarding machine-readable passports and USA, please read the following website: US Embassy

Machine-readable passports are not issued by the Embassy in London, but through the police in Oslo. Consequently, the application process currently takes approximately 4 – 6 weeks.


How to apply for/renew your passport

Applications for machine-readable passports must be lodged during the Consular Section’s opening hours, which are from Monday to Friday, between 10:00 hrs and 12:00 hrs.  However, as the Consular Section may sometimes be very busy, you are advised to turn up early. Emergencies may be dealt with outside those hours – provided prior appointment.

When you arrive at the Embassy or the Consulate General, please bring the following documentation:


  • 1 completed form for passport application (please click HERE ). For information regarding name and personal ID-number, you are kindly requested to read paragraphs relating to change of name and personal number further on in this page.
  • 4 passport photographs (must be identical, clear quality, white background, not older than 3 months, minimum 36 x 47 mm). This does also apply to minors.
  • Old passport.
  • Fee – Adults: £62,- Children: £31,- (from 1 January 2004) 
  • You may pay by cash or by cheque with bank guarantee card.
  • 1 completed "Enclosure to the Passport Application" (please click HERE ).

Children under the age of 18 must in addition to the above supply the following:

  • Old passport or if it is the first time; Extract from ‘Folkeregisteret’ in Norway (National Registry), which confirms the child’s full name and date of birth with personal number. Please note that in order to obtain machine-readable passport, one must have a personal number. For guidance on how to obtain such a number, please read the section regarding personal number.
  • Birth certificate, which shows both parents’ names.
  • Both parents passports. This also applies if one of the parents is not Norwegian.
  • Parent’s marriage certificate.

You are kindly requested to read carefully through page 2 of the Passport application. Please remember that both parents must sign the form – this also applies if one of the parents is not Norwegian.

If the child is 10 years of age or older, the child must be present when submitting the application.


Where to apply?

Norwegians domiciled in England or Wales, must apply in person through the Embassy in London or through one of the Norwegian Honorary Consulates. Please note that if you wish to lodge the application through one of the Honorary Consulates, you must telephone the Honorary Consulate in advance in order to make an appointment.

Norwegians domiciled in Scotland or Northern Ireland, should contact the Norwegian Consulate General in Edinburgh
( 0131 – 226 57 01).                                                                                      


Passport lost or stolen

One is required to report the loss of passport to local police (i.e. British police) and submit the following:

Another form of Norwegian identification, such as Norwegian driver’s licence, Norwegian banker’s card, Norwegian birth certificate, etc.

A special form for loss of passport must be completed in duplicate. Click here to download this form.


Personal number (Norwegian ID number)

If you have ever been domiciled in Norway since 1964, you hold a personal number. If you are uncertain of what the number is, please contact the Special Registry in Kongsvinger on telephone number: 00 47 62 88 23 20.

If you were born abroad or have never been a resident in Norway since 1964, you must apply to obtain a personal number. An application must be made in the form of a letter and sent to the following address:

0630 Oslo

Tel: 00 47 22 66 15 20 / 19 41 / 15 31 (fax will not be accepted).

With the application for children, one must enclose the child's birth certificate (either in original or certified true copy), parents' marriage certificate (either in original or certified true copy) and copies of the parents passports confirming their nationalities.  It is very important that personal data relating to births abroad (such as the child's details, country of birth, both parents' names, their marital status, nationalities, etc.) are registered with the Norwegian National/Public Register.  For adults, please enclose certified true copy of Norwegian passport and - if you have changed your name after moving from Norway - certified true copy of marriage certificate or other proof of name change. 

Norwegians registered as living in Norway, must contact relevant local Public Register.

Please be aware that the application process for a personal number may take approximately 6-8 weeks.


Change of name

Name(s) stated in passport application must be identical to what is registered in the Norwegian Public Register (‘folkeregisteret’).

If the above does not apply, the passport application will not be accepted and consequently returned.

Notification for change of name for Norwegians registered as living abroad must be sent in the form of a letter to: Skattedirektoratet, Sentralkontoret for folkeregistrering, Postboks 6300 Etterstad, N-0603 Oslo, Norway.  The letter of notification regarding change of name from Norwegians domiciled abroad, must consist of a single page where you state only the following:

1) Your current address.
2) Your old name in full.
3) Your new name in full (underline your surname).
4) Date of birth with personal ID-number (without this number, your notification will not be accepted).
5) Name what type of documentation that you have enclosed with the notification (marriage certificate, statutory declaration or deed poll).
6) Explain that in the UK there is no official authority that grants change of name. According to British regulations it is possible to change name on entry into marriage (marriage certificate) or get a statutory declaration or deed poll through a solicitor.
7) Certified true copies of relevant documentation – as stated in number 6 – must be enclosed with the notification.

The processing of name change will normally take about 10 days - excluding postal time to and from Norway.

Norwegians registered as living in Norway,  must send notification of name change to relevant Public Register.  Forms for such a notification may be obtained through the local Public Register or may be downloaded from internet: 



Collection of Norwegian passport

Your new passport may be collected at the Embassy during Consular opening hours or at one of our honorary Consulates, or the passport may be sent to you directly by first class provided you leave your old passport at the Embassy when you lodge your application. It is your responsibility to telephone the Embassy (or the Consulate) to find out when the passport is ready for collection.


Born outside Norway?

If you are a Norwegian national born abroad, please read carefully section 4 on the first page (old type) or the last page (new type) of your Norwegian passport. 

Emergency passport

You may obtain an emergency passport at the Embassy in London. However, it will only be valid for 3 – three – months and is a manually issued passport (i.e. it is not a machine-readable passport).

It is not possible to apply for emergency passport through our honorary consulates.

You will need to submit the same application forms and documentation as for a normal passport application. In addition, you should also enclose an explanatory letter.


Norwegian citizenship

The Act of 8 December 1950 relating to Norwegian Nationality contains the provisions which define Norwegian nationality and describe how Norwegian nationality is acquired.

For Norwegians living abroad, it is important to note the following:

If you hold Norwegian citizenship, but were born abroad and have never lived in Norway, you may lose the right to Norwegian citizenship upon reaching the age of 22. You may, however, apply to keep your Norwegian citizenship.

Such an application must be lodged after the age of 21, but before the age of 22 through the nearest Norwegian foreign service mission.

If you live in England or Wales, the application should be directed to:

The Royal Norwegian Embassy
25 Belgrave Square
London, SW1X 8QD

If you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you should direct the application to:

The Royal Nowegian Consulate General
86 George Street
Edinburgh, EH2 3BU                                                

Please note that if you are a second generation Norwegian having been born abroad, it may be more difficult to retain your Norwegian nationality.

Further information concerning Norwegian nationality may be obtained from:

Directorate of Immigration

P.O.Box 8108 Dep.
0032 Oslo
Telephone: 0047 23 35 15 00

The application for retention of Norwegian nationality should be made in the form of a letter, where it is explained why you want to keep your nationality. With the letter, the following must be enclosed:

  • Norwegian passport. If you have never had a Norwegian passport; some of form of identification, such as your British passport
  • Birth Certificate, which states both the child’s name and both parents’ names
  • The passport of the parent who is Norwegian
  • If the father is Norwegian and the mother is not; the parent’s marriage certificate.


Send this article to a friend
Print this article

The Norwegian Embassy in London and the Consulate General in Edinburgh are now in a position to accept applications for machine-readable passports.